Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Boat Model

I finally got around to making a model of the Gypsy last weekend. I did it very simply and in an afternoon, not trying to be too exact. I wanted to see the thing come together more than I wanted something for the mantelpiece. It's just poster board, glue, and lots of tape, but I still got that "wow" moment when the hull took shape from those flat pieces of paper. I can only imagine how wonderful the same moment will be with the real thing.


As you can see from the picture I only bothered with the central frame mold, mostly because my girlfriend was bothering me to put it down and eat dinner, but I'm still very pleased with the results. I can't wait to get back to work this weekend. I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and get the wood, or order full patterns for the pieces. Either way it's probably still several months before I have any chance of getting on the water, but for now I'm letting my imagination do the work. And shopping for a pirate hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment